In reading my RSS feeds today, Kevin Tofel of JKOnTheRun looks like he's about to play with OS X on his Q1UP. (Update: He already has his first thoughts posted) I briefly tried Tiger on my Q1U-V (above) and ditched it as menu drawing was too slow. I hope he has more luck in his experiments. This reminded me of an editorial I wrote about a year ago regarding Linux, Microsoft, and Apple UMPCs. When all three major operating systems are in the UMPC game, the real winner is the CONSUMER.
To reiterate my position on why Apple should make UMPCs:
- Experience with touch and multi-touch with the iPhone.
- Existing multi-touch patents
- Existing Inkwell technology
- Existing loyal fan base
- Appeal to graphic artists, marketers, and more who want to draw directly on the screen.
- Dashboard - a fantastic secondary display for the UMPC while the user is on the main Mac.
- I think iSlab would be a fantastic product name.